Here is a recipe that you can use with almost all home grown vegetables! It is a healthy alternative to many other casseroles, and can be enjoyed by all!
- 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 large sweet red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- ½ c. light mayonnaise
- 4 oz Romano cheese, shredded
- 8 oz Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 12 round crackers, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 rectangular baking dish, set aside.
2. In a large skillet, cook zucchini, red peppers, onions and eggplant, garlic in olive oil until tender – about 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste if you would like.
3. While vegetables are cooking, in a large bowl mix together eggs and mayo. Stir in romano and 4 oz of the mozzarella cheese.
4. Once vegetables are cooked, add to the egg and mayo mixture. Stir until combined.
5. Pour into rectangular pan, and cover with remaining 4 oz of mozzarella cheese and crushed crackers.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes until top is lightly brown. Let stand for 10 minutes to cool before serving. Makes 6-8 servings.
*If you are looking for a lighter version, you can limit the amount of cheese that you mix in with the vegetables, and that you put on top of the casserole.