Uncle Jim’s is proud to offer THE DURABLE, BREATHABLE, ATTRACTIVE HOME WORM BIN SOLUTION!
- At capacity, your Urban Worm Bag will hold up to 120lbs or more of dense vermicompost with a moisture content of 70-90%.
- To withstand these conditions, 900D Oxford nylon fabric that won’t rip or abrade, even in the harshest of environments conditions is used on every worm bag.
- Only the highest-quality, waterproof nylon “overseam” stitching and marine grade zippers are used.
- Vermicompost is its own living ecosystem, potentially full of beneficial bacteria, fungi, hormones, all standing ready to breathe life into your soil.
- Your composter needs to breathe too.
- The Urban Worm Bag’s fabric construction helps you maintain aerobic conditions throughout the entirety of your vermicomposting process.
- The Urban Worm Bag uses the highly-efficient, but incredibly simple continuous flow concept found in the world’s top vermicomposting operations.
- Unless your vermicompost contains fibrous or woody material, your finished product could be ready to use as-is.
- No screening. No sifting. Just apply to your plants, soil, or growing medium.
Frequently Asked Questions
HOW LONG UNTIL I CAN BEGIN HARVESTING WORM CASTINGS?
If you start from scratch, it should be about 4-6 months before you should expect to harvest worm castings from the bottom of your worm bag. You can reduce this time (and better ensure a happy home for your worms) if you start with an existing amount of vermicompost as a starter material.
HOW DO I MAINTAIN PROPER MOISTURE IN MY URBAN WORM BAG?
This will depend on the ambient humidity wherever it is you keep your bin, whether or not you keep it indoors, and whether or not you keep it in your basement.
The Urban Worm Bag breathes so well that it can tend to dry out too quickly if left neglected.
In any case, if you grab a handful of vermicompost and squeeze it, you should be able to squeeze out a drop or two of moisture, much like a well-wrung out sponge.
If it’s too wet, add some dry bedding and stop feeding for a few days.
If it’s too dry, use a spray bottle or spritzer as needed to maintain appropriate moisture levels.
WHAT IF MY URBAN WORM BAG HAS A FOUL SMELL?
A properly maintained worm bin should not smell bad. More than likely, the bin is over fed, too wet, or both. Because the Urban Worm Bag has such good airflow, it is likely your bin has been overfed and the food is decomposing faster than the worms can consume it. Remove any excess food, add bedding, and monitor conditions.
HOW MUCH VERMICOMPOST OR WORM CASTINGS CAN THE URBAN WORM BAG PRODUCE?
Your results are dependent upon too many variables to give you a good number.
However you can use commonly-known rules of thumb to get a very rough estimate. Conservatively, worms can eat 25-50% of their own weight per day and at maximum density, you will have around 2 lbs of worms per square foot.
The Urban Worm Bag has roughly 4 square feet of surface area. So an Urban Worm Bag stocked with 4lbs of worms will be able to process roughly 1-2 lbs of food waste per day under good conditions, roughly 50-70% of which will exit the worm in the form of worm castings.
MY URBAN WORM BAG IS DRIPPING. WHAT IS HAPPENING?
IS THE URBAN WORM BAG RODENT-PROOF?
Unfortunately, no. This worm bin should be kept indoors, preferably, and away from rodents who will certainly be able to chew through the fabric.
The Urban Worm Bag *should* be used indoors, but depending on location, it may be used outdoors. In all cases, it must be protected from exposure to sunlight and precipitation.
HOW CAN I USE MY WORM CASTINGS?
This is up to you! But most people prefer to use worm castings and a soil amendment at a 10% substitution rate or apply it directly to the base of their plants as a top dressing. Note: This will not burn the plants.
Urban Worm Bag Specifications
Width (including frame): 26 ¾ in (68cm)
Length: (including frame): 26 ¾ in (68cm)
Height: (including frame): 30 ¼ in (77cm)
Bag Only Height: 22 in (56cm)
Bag Only Width: 24 in (61 cm)
Bag Only Length: 24 in (61 cm)
Weight: 7.5 lbs (3.4 kg)
Volume at Max Load: 5.3 cubic ft (122 liters)
Fabric: 900D Oxford with a polyurethane coating for moisture resistance
Frame: Lightweight iron frame with plastic 3-way connectors
Zippers: Marine-grade #8 heavy zippers